At Little Traverse Bay Humane Society, we are dedicated to providing animals the tender, loving care and attention they need to become adoptable companions.
Volunteers assist with the care of the shelter dogs, provide support for administrative programs, raise essential funds for operations and solicit necessary items on our wish list to promote a safe, healthy environment for all of the animals in our care.
- Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older.
- Volunteers must be able to commit to a minimum of eight hours/month for a minimum of three months.
- Volunteers must be able to work for a one hour period between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., Monday – Friday. Because our priority is to help every animal in our shelter find a loving, forever home, volunteers will be limited on Saturdays due to the significant number of adoptions that occur.
Volunteers will be required to schedule their desired task and time with the volunteer coordinator either at the shelter or over the phone at least 48 hours prior to volunteering. Tasks will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
Becoming a Volunteer
Please complete the volunteer application. Once your application has been approved, our volunteer coordinator will call you to schedule your orientation session. Volunteers must agree to the following requirements in order to volunteer:
- Volunteers must commit to a regular schedule with a minimum of two hours per week for a minimum of three months.
- Students under 18 will not be eligible to volunteer. (See Youth Guidelines.)
- Only one child is allowed per one adult volunteer.
- Volunteers must be mature, dependable, ambitious, able to follow instructions and able to work independently on assigned tasks.
- Volunteers with a negative attitude, careless work ethic, inability to follow instructions or unreliability will be terminated from the program.
- Volunteers must wear knee-length shorts or pants and tennis shoes. No short shorts, flip-flops, Crocks, toeless sandals or any similar shoe will be permitted.
Once orientation has been completed, every volunteer will be required to shadow an LTBHS employee. Upon completion, volunteers will receive a badge which they will be required to wear every time they volunteer.
Volunteer OpportunitiesAdministrative Assistance: Provide administrative support to LTBHS’s programs. Responsibilities include:
- Packet assembly
Dog Volunteer: Provide exercise and socialization for the shelter dogs. Responsibilities include walking a dog outside for exercise using appropriate equipment and cleaning up after the dogs while outside of their kennels. Parents MUST be the leash holders while walking dogs with children under the age of 12.
Fundraising Volunteer: Volunteers of all ages are encouraged to raise money or solicit items on our wish list to support shelter operations and our mission to offer warm shelter, veterinary services, and personal attention to all the animals in our care, as well as proactive methods to control pet overpopulation.
Please note: All volunteer positions are not available at all times.
To become a volunteer, please contact volunteer coordinator, Teresa Chaney, at 347.2396.