You need to contact Animal Control at 911. The officer will either pick up the animal or direct you to take it to the stray center, which is the Bay Area Pet Resort. It is important that all found animals are taken to this facility to aid in the return with their owner. It is also important that this is done immediately. In Emmet County, if you keep an animal for more than seven days it is considered yours. The county will no longer accept responsibility for the animal.

The stray center is the facility where found animals are taken. In Emmet County, this is a contract that is bid on and awarded every five years. Currently, the Bay Area Pet Resort is our county’s stray center. It is located on US 31 toward Charlevoix. Bay Area Pet Resort shares a parking lot with Jensen’s Animal Hospital. Bay Area Pet Resort can be reached at 231.348.5550.

We accept owner-surrendered animals, strays that have not been claimed from the Emmet County Stray Center, animals from other humane societies that euthanize, and animals from rescue groups.

To us, “no-kill” means no animal will be euthanized for lack of space. We keep all of the animals in our care until they find a home. However, if an animal is severely ill, aggressive, or in severe pain, we will euthanize, but only with a veterinarian’s recommendation.

Call 911 for all Animal Control complaints and to receive officer assistance. Little Traverse Bay Humane Society does not handle abuse or neglect issues. Once the issues have been resolved and if they aren’t claimed or adopted through Emmet County Stray Center, we will take the animal into our shelter to be adopted.

To arrange to have your pet spayed or neutered, please contact Little Traverse Bay Veterinary Clinic at 231-622-6363.