1300 W. Conway Rd. Harbor Springs, MI 49740  231-347-2396

ltbhs facebook  ltbhs twitter  ltbhs instagram

donate to ltbhs

Keep your pet protected from antifreeze this winter

Posted by on in Vet Clinic
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 2550
  • Print

One major concern for pet owners during the winter months is keeping their pet protected from antifreeze, which can be potentially deadly if ingested. It’s important that antifreeze be kept out of pet’s reach and any spills on driveways and other hard surfaces should be cleaned up immediately. Unfortunately, many pets will consume this liquid, as it tends to have a sweet flavor.

Antifreeze can cause kidney failure in thDB3R5148e matter of a couple of days, and this doesn’t happen just by pets lapping it up in the driveway. If a pet walks through it and then goes inside to lick its paws, there is a real cause for concern.

But how do you know if you pet has gotten into antifreeze? If you suspect your pet has consumed antifreeze, contact your veterinarian first and foremost. Signs of antifreeze poisoning vary depending on the time of ingestion, but include:

-Drinking excessive amounts of water
-Decreased urination

Treatment for antifreeze poisoning is available and the earlier it is caught, the better chance of survival. The best way to make sure your pet doesn’t consume antifreeze is to be vigilant about checking the driveway for spills and monitor your pet when they’re out on walks, as well. Make sure to keep new and used antifreeze in sealed containers out of your pet’s reach and consider using a non-toxic alternative.

As always, if you have a question about your pet’s health, please make an appointment at Little Traverse Bay Veterinary Clinic at 231-622-6363.